Basil and lemon infused panna cotta with strawberry sauce
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 people
- 4 oz. fresh basil, washed and dried with paper towels
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 6 gelatin sheets
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup sugar, separated
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, washed
- Mint leaves
- In a saucepan gently heat the cream over low heat. Add the basil and lemon zest and gently steep as you would a tea. Once the basil is fully wilted, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- In a bowl of cool water, place the gelatin sheets to soften.
- Strain the cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into another saucepan.
- Put over medium heat. When the cream is warm add the 1 cup of sugar and lemon juice. Stir to dissolve.
- Remove the softened gelatin sheets from the water and wring the water out with your hands and add to the warm cream. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Pour mixture into 6 dessert cups and cover. Place cups onto a tray and then put in the refrigerator to chill and set about 6 hours or overnight.
- Serve with strawberry sauce and top with a few fresh mint leaves if you like.
- Hull the washed strawberries or just cut off the tops.
- Place the strawberries in a small saucepan and add the 1/3 cup sugar. Stir to combine.
- Place over medium-low heat and let the strawberries become very soft.
- Using an emersion blender, puree the strawberries.
- Strain through a fine mess strainer into a measuring cup for easy pouring. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.