Oh my – dessert should not be this easy nor yummy! I first spotted references to this dreamy end-of-summer delight when researching recipes for Ferragosto and have been waiting for an excuse to re-create this in my kitchen. Ok – so my excuse is pretty weak – I have been stuck inside for a few days due to the deluge of rain with a basket of sweet, ripening local peaches. But the result was a kitchen filled with the wonderful aroma of chocolate and peaches slowly melding into the most delicious summer dessert ever. So run to your local farm market to pick up some peaches. Call your friends and pop the cork on a bottle of a sparkly Prosecco – they will love you forever. Enjoy!
Pesche al Cioccolato (Oven-baked Peaches Stuffed with Amaretti Cookies and Chocolate)
2 fresh, ripe peaches
8 Italian amaretti cookies
2 ounces dark chocolate
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon rum (optional)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 medium bowl to mix filling, 1 baking dish large enough to hold the peach halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and dry the peaches. Halve and pit the peaches. Using a small spoon or a melon baller, scoop the pulp out of the peach halves being careful not to break through the outside skin so as to form little ‘containers’ to hold the filling.
- Mash the peach pulp in a medium bowl.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- Using a food processor, pulse the amaretti cookies until crumbly. Alternatively, place the cookies in a plastic resealable bag and use a mallet to crush the cookies. Add the cookie crumbs to the peach pulp. Add the egg yolk, cocoa powder and sugar. Stir to combine. Add in the melted chocolate and rum. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the peach pulp mixture into the peach halves and place in the baking dish. Pour the wine into the baking dish around the peach halves.
- Bake in the oven until the peaches are cooked through but still firm – about 30 minutes.
- Plate peaches and sprinkle with extra crushed amaretti cookies and cocoa powder.
- Enjoy!! Buon appetito!