Seared sliced steak with arugula and Parmesan – a quick and easy Italian recipe – great for weeknights!
Author:Michele M. Becci
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, mashed
• 1 good sized sprig of fresh rosemary
• 1 pound boneless sirloin steak (at least 1 inch thick)
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• About 4 or 5 ounces of baby arugula
• Lemon wedges
• Wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano
• In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat the olive oil over high heat with the garlic and sprig of rosemary. Allow to cook until the garlic is golden. Give the garlic a few turns while cooking so all sides are golden. This should take a few minutes. Remove the garlic and rosemary and discard.
• Sprinkle the outside of the steak with salt and pepper (both sides). Add the steak to the skillet and sear to desired doneness (rare if you dare!). Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
• While that juicy steak is resting, arrange the arugula on a platter. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the wedge of Parmigiano so you have about 1/2 cup of shavings. Use more if desired. Cut the steak on a slight angle into ½ inch slices.
• Top the arugula with the steak slices. Pour any accumulated juices from the cutting board over the steak and arugula. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Drizzle the entire plate with your best quality extra virgin olive oil and juice from half a lemon.
• Top with the Parmigiano shavings. Serve with additional lemon wedges and hearty red wine. Buon appetito!