- For the farro:
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups diced or pureed tomatoes
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- For the vegetables:
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 large carrots
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Make the farro: Combine the farro, broth, salt and olive oil in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until still slightly chewy (‘al dente’), about 15 minutes. You want the farro to be slightly undercooked as it will cook further in the oven. Drain, reserving the broth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium heavy sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are sizzling. Turn the heat to low and continue to sauté until the vegetables become soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add in the tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring often. Add in the cooked farro and cook for another minute to incorporate. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the grated Parmigiano.
- Prep the veggies: Using either a spiralizer or a mandolin, cut the zucchini and remaining 2 carrots into long spaghetti-like strands. Place into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Assemble the dish: Grease a baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil. Distribute a layer of the vegetables, some of the farro sauce, then the rest of the vegetables and sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the oven. Uncover. Sprinkle top with additional 1/4 cup Parmigiano and a drizzle of olive oil. Turn on the broiler and broil until the top is brown and crispy. Serve!