A simple crostata recipe to brighten your winter’s day!
Cuisine:A simple crostata recipe to brighten your winter's day
For the pastry:
o 2 cups all-purpose flour
o 1 tablespoon sugar
o Pinch salt
o 1 ½ sticks cold butter, cubed
o A few tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
o 4 blood oranges
o 2 oranges
o 8 ounces mascarpone
o 1 tablespoon sugar
o ½ teaspoon almond extract
• 1 egg
• Raw sugar to sprinkle (“Demetra’)
Make the crust: Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the butter until the dough is crumbly with the butter being about the size of peas.
• Sprinkle the surface of the dough with about 1 tablespoon cold water. Using your hands, mix until the dough just comes together. Add more water if still dry but be careful not to knead the dough too much.
• Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Prepare the filling: Using a sharp knife, cut a small slice off the top and bottom of the orange to flatten the ends. Cut down the sides of the oranges, removing the skin and white pith. Slice the oranges crosswise into thin wheels. Remove any seeds. Reserve.
• In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone, sugar and almond extract until blended. Taste and add a bit more sugar if you would prefer it a bit sweeter.
• Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to form a large circle, about ¼ inch thick. Using the rolling pin, carefully transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper. Spread the mascarpone filling on top of the dough, leaving a border. Arrange the sliced oranges on top of the filling. Carefully fold over the edges of the dough over the filling. Slip the crostata onto a plate and place in freezer for about thirty minutes. (This firms up the dough.)
• When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the crostata from the freezer and transfer to a baking sheet. Beat the egg and brush the edges of the crostata with the egg wash. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Place in the oven and bake until the edges are golden, about 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!