An easy summer casserole to use up all that zucchini! Zucchini and cheese. Enough said.
- 6 sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 4 medium zucchini
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 3 eggs
- ½ pound mozzarella, diced
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan, plus additional
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the sundried tomatoes in boiling water for about 15 minutes to soften.
- Wash the zucchini. Trim the ends off the zucchini. Cut 3 of the zucchini in half lengthwise and then into ½ inch rounds. Cut the last zucchini in half and then cut each half lengthwise. Cut each piece into long matchsticks. Reserve. (You will use these to top the zucchini sformato.)
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the sliced zucchini and ¼ cup water. Cover and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain the sundried tomatoes. Dice.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add in the mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the cooked zucchini and add to the egg mixture.
- Lightly oil a small baking dish. Pour the mixture into the dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and some Parmesan.
- Tuck the remaining zucchini sticks in the top of the batter. (You may have some remaining, which can be reserved for another use.) Drizzle with a little olive oil and more Parmesan. Place in the oven and cook until top is browned, about 40 minutes.