- 2 large fennel bulbs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (use panko breadcrumbs for extra crunch)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (or combine with Pecorino Romano cheese)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Lightly oil a baking dish or for easier clean-up, line a baking dish with a piece of parchment paper large enough to keep liquids from leaking onto the baking dish.
- Prepare the fennel by removing the stalks and any discolored or dry outer leaves. Slice each bulb into 6 wedges, with a portion of the root end in each wedge to keep it intact. Trim any brown bits from the root end.
- In a medium bowl, toss the fennel wedges with olive oil, salt and pepper to coat well.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese(s), breadcrumbs and thyme. Taste the mixture and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour out the fennel wedges into the prepared baking dish and arrange so the fennel doesn’t overlap. Sprinkle on a layer of the breadcrumb/cheese mixture covering all the fennel pieces.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or so, until the fennel is nicely browned.
- Serve the fennel from the baking dish or arrange on another platter for serving.