A simple, soul satisfying roasted fennel and carrot soup to start the year off healthy!
• 2 medium fennel bulbs with fronds
• 1 pound carrots, quartered lengthwise
• 1 large onion, peeled and quartered with core intact
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
• Freshly grated Parmigiano
• Preheat over to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Slice stalks from fennel bulbs. Reserve fennel fronds for garnish. Toss stalks. Slice the bulbs in half lengthwise. Slice each half into ¼ inch slices lengthwise.
• In a large bowl, toss the fennel slices with the carrots, onion, garlic, about ½ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables on a sheet pan and place in the oven to roast. Stir occasionally. Roast until the veggies are browned and tender.
• Place the veggies in a blender with the broth and blend until smooth. (You may need to do this in batches.) Transfer to a saucepan. If soup is too thick, add water to thin. Simmer until soup is warmed through. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
• Serve soup drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, fennel fronds and freshly grated Parmigiano.