A bright, refreshing caramelized orange and fennel salad to kick off the new year in style!
• Zest ½ orange
• 1 navel orange
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium fennel bulb
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Remove the peel and pith from the oranges. Slice crosswise into ½ inch rounds. Remove any seeds from the rounds if you can.
• In a skillet large enough to hold the orange slices in a single layer, melt the butter over medium-low heat until melted and foaming. Sprinkle with the sugar. Turn the heat to medium high. Once the sugar is melted and starts to caramelize (about 3 minutes), lower the heat and add in the orange slices in a single layer. Cook until the orange slice begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side. Gently place the slices on a plate along with any juices.
• Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise. Slice each half into ¼ slices lengthwise. Reserve any fronds for garnish.
• Drizzle olive oil in the same skillet to coat bottom (about 1 tablespoon) over medium-high heat. Add in the fennel slices and cook until browed on each side, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Remove the fennel slices and layer on your serving plate. Add the orange slices on top and drizzle with any juices. Top with freshly ground black pepper, fennel fronds, orange zest and a healthy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve!