Simple recipe to make creamy ricotta at home
- • 4 cups whole milk
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- • In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and salt to a gentle boil over medium heat.. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon to prevent scorching.
- • Meanwhile, line a colander with three or four layers of cheesecloth and set over a medium bowl just larger than the colander.
- • Once boiling, remove the milk mixture from the heat. Add in the white vinegar and let stand for about 5 minutes. Stir gently until the mixture starts to curdle into solid white curds and a cloudy liquid (whey). Let stand another 5 minutes.
- • Gently pour the mixture into the prepared colander. Cover the top with plastic wrap and allow to drain until the desired texture is reached. (I let mine drain for about 20 minutes as I like my ricotta still on the wet side.)
- • Gather up the sides of the cheesecloth and transfer the fresh ricotta to a bowl. Serve immediately or in a covered container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.