Massaged Kale “Caprese-ish” Salad
- One bunch of Tuscan kale
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Ten or so fresh small tomatoes
- 1 container Mozzarella cheese – ciliegine-sized (cherry sized) or larger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sprig of basil
- Strip away the two sides of each kale leaf from the rib and place in a separate bowl. Discard the ribs and stems, or save for vegetable stock.
- Add 2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil to the kale, and a pinch of salt.
- Now get in there with one clean hand and message the heck out of the kale. It will begin to soften as you break it down. You need to apply some strength to make this work. Taste a piece. If its texture is to your liking, you’re done, otherwise keep massaging!
- Prepare the Caprese-ish salad. I use this term because a true Caprese salad is overlapping layers of tomatoes and mozzarella dressed in olive oil and salt. Dice fresh salad tomatoes and cut the mozzarella balls in half. Dress with a little olive oil, salt pepper and the lemon juice.
- Divide the massaged kale on plates, then pile the tomato-mozzarella salad in the center of the kale on each plate.
- Top each plate with a basil sprig and serve.
- Serving Size: This recipe makes a salad course for 4 people.