Semifreddo – a super, simple Italian frozen dessert that will help you beat the summer heat!
- About 1½ cups shelled pistachios, plus more for sprinkling on top
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups very cold heavy cream
- Piece of dark chocolate for shaving on top (optional)
- Line a standard loaf pan (8 ½ by 4) with plastic wrap, leaving about a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup of the pistachios in a food processor with ½ cup sugar and pulse until very finely ground. Toss in the remaining ½ cup pistachios and pulse to coarsely grind. (You want the texture of both finely and coarsely ground nuts for the semifreddo.)
- Beat the egg whites in a chilled bowl with an electric mixer with chilled beaters. (This keeps everything smooth and creamy.) Beat just until stiff soft peaks form.
- Whip the cream, adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar a little at a time. Continue whipping until still peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the pistachio nut mixture until incorporated.
- Fold in the egg white mixture next, stirring gently but thoroughly, until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Cover and freeze until firm, about 5 hours.
- To serve, unmold onto a plate. Peel off the plastic wrap. Slice and serve sprinkled with additional chopped pistachios and perhaps a bit of shaved chocolate. Alternatively, scoop the semifreddo into cups or bowls and sprinkle with the pistachios and chocolate.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian