A simple lemony Sicilian sauce recipe to top fish, chicken or veggies!
- For the salmoriglio sauce:
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup hot water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and finely ground black pepper to taste
- 12 fresh sardines, cleaned
- Extra lemons, quartered
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil and hot water briskly with a fork. Add in the juice from the lemons, followed by the garlic, oregano and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare a medium hot grill. Spray or wipe the grill with oil. Season the sardines with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. When grill is hot, grill until fish are cooked through and nicely charred, only about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill and place on a platter. Drizzle the sauce over the sardines. Serve the extra sauce on the side. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice. Serve with plenty of extra lemons on the side.
- Category: Antipasto
- Cuisine: Italian