- One large delicata squash. washed thoroughly
- 2–4 sprigs fresh rosemary, stripped and leave finely chopped
- Loose leaf lettuce (or arugula) of your choice enough to fill your serving plan, torn into bite-sized pieces, washed and dried
- Pomegranate seeds
- Toasted pine nuts (or other nut such as chopped pistachio) See Note #1
- 4 mint sprigs, leaves removed
- Good quality balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Prepare the squash:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 ℉. Prepare a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Prepare the squash by cutting off the ends and then slicing it into ½-inch slices widthwise. Try to cut the squash as consistently wide as possible so they cook evenly.
- Spoon out the seeds from each ring. Discard the seeds. The skin on this type of squash if edible and delicious!
- Place the rings in a medium-bowl, add the finely chopped rosemary and 1-2 tbsps of olive oil. Add a generous pinch of salt. Toss the rings to coat adding more rosemary or oil as needed.
- Lay out the squash on the lined sheet pan without any overlapping pieces.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the pieces become golden brown on the bottom-side. Then flip over and roast for another 5-10 minutes. Be sure the check the squash as they cook.
- When done remove the squash to a plate or board so they stop cooking. Let them cool to room temperature.
Prepare the salad:
- Set out your serving plate.
- In a clean bowl, add the lettuce or greens and coat with olive oil to taste. Add salt to your liking. Distribute the salad on the serving plate.
- Top the salad with roasted squash rings.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the salad and then top with the toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds
- Sprinkle with the mint leaves and serve.
Note #1: To toast pine nuts other other chopped nuts, place a small dry frying pan over low heat. Add the nuts and swirl them in the pan every 15-seconds or so. Don’t leave them along as they can burn quickly. When you begin to smell the aroma of the toasting nuts and they start to brown, remove the immediate to a flat plate and spread them out. This immediately stops the cooking.