This is my second year participating in World Nutella Day. You must, must go visit the following sites for all the yummy recipes!
Miss Adventures in Italy http://msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/
Bleeding Espresso http://bleedingespresso.com/
Nutella Day http://www.nutelladay.com/
For weeks, I have been plotting how best to expend my Nutella Day calorie allotment! In the end, I had it narrowed down to 3 categories and thought I would wait until the day arrived to determine which recipe would best match the Nutella Day weather! Well, Nutella Day 2010 dawned chilly and cloudy with the threat of a northeast’er here in Pennsylvania. In a heartbeat, I knew how to warm the cockles of my Nutella craving soul – warm, creamy Nutella-filled Grand Marnier Ricotta Fritters. What better combination – chocolate, hazelnut, orange and ricotta…mmmmmm….and memories of making ricotta fritters with my mom on cold winter days. Nothing could improve upon my mom’s ricotta fritters – except the addition of Nutella. The infusion of orange with the ricotta make for a beautiful combination. The filling of Nutella takes the meltingly soft creamy insides to new culinary heights. Soooo worth the indulgence….Happy World Nutella Day, all!! Now…… I had better go wipe away my powdered sugar Nutella trail of fingerprints leading to my computer….
Nutella-filled Grand Marnier Ricotta Fritters
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 pound ricotta
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier
4 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons orange zest
Pinch of salt
Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
Nutella (about 1/2 cup, depending on number of fritters)
1. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, sugar, flour, Grand Marnier, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Mix well.
2. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Pour oil into a wide, shallow saucepan or Dutch oven (depth about 3 or 4 inches). Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
4. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter into the hot oil, and fry a few at a time. Turn with skimmer mid-fry and fry until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
5. Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a thin tip, with about 1/2 cup of Nutella. (Hint: Warm the Nutella in a microwave for a few minutes to soften a bit more.)
6. Fill each fritter with a dollop of Nutella :o)).
7. Place on a platter and dust generously with confectioner’s sugar.
8. Serve and enjoy!!!