World Nutella Day 2009 finally arrived!! So many ways to use those little jars of hazelnut/chocolate goodness!! Memories of late night post-grad exams with jars of Nutella – Nutella and banana on pita was a late night staple; finger-dipping sessions straight out of the little jar a close second. (Yes, I gained a few pounds during my post-grad education.) So after a few hours of Nutella recipe web surfing, I settled on a tasty Toasted Coconut and Nutella Semifreddo. Semifreddo (which translates to ‘half-cold’) is an Italian dessert which is semi-frozen – this frosty combination of toasted coconut, Nutella and cream was just what my soul was craving.
There is a whole movement around World Nutella Day – so mark your calendars for next year!! Check out this link and start planning ahead…an entire year to practice recipes! Go crazy with those little Nutella jars!
Toasted Coconut and Nutella Semifreddo
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut, divided
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup Nutella, divided
1. Toast coconut and let cool. I usually just throw it in a little pan on low heat and stir continually until toasted…about 5 minutes or so.
2. Whip the cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form (about 5-8 minutes).
3. Line a 9X5 inch loaf pan with either plastic wrap or waxed paper. I used waxed paper after a frustrating battle with plastic wrap.
4. Spray the inside of the waxed paper or plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Reserve 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut and spread the remaining coconut on the bottom and sides of the pan.
6. Set a large bowl over simmering water. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in the bowl until the eggs are frothy, creamy and thick. This should take about 5 minutes.
7. Warm the Nutella in the microwave for about 15 secs until just slightly melted.
8. Add 1/4 cup of the Nutella and the 1/4 cup reserved coconut to the egg/sugar mixture. Allow the mixture to cool for about 5 minutes (so as not to deflate the cream when added).
9. Fold the whipped cream into the egg mixture. (Again, be sure the
10. Pour half of the cream mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
11. Rewarm the Nutella in the microwave if it has cooled. Drizzle half of the remaining Nutella on the cream mixture. Using a small sharp knife, lightly swirl the Nutella into the cream mixture.
12. Repeat with the remaining cream and remaining Nutella. Swirl the Nutella into the second layer of cream
14. Cover and let freeze for at least 4 hours. Unmold just prior to serving, dust with additional toasted coconut or chocolate shavings if desired and serve!