Although it is still rather chilly here on the east coast of the US, spring is vibrating in the air. You can see the trees and plants just waiting patiently to spring. During this time of year, I find myself smiling in anticipation of what is to come over the next few weeks – spring flowers, trees leafing out, planning the garden! Way too exciting! After a few weeks of nonstop travel, I decided to give my weary body a bit of a ‘riposo’ (rest) in time for the beautiful days ahead. Facial. (Check.) Bubble bath. (Check.) A week of mostly veggies and fruits. (Check.) Some may feel the latter is a huge sacrifice – but for me, if I could eat a tub of this spinach every evening, I would be in heaven. This is one of my all time favorite dishes – I make it frequently as a side to fish or roast chicken or as a main course sometimes with a scrambled egg or potatoes mixed in. It is super easy and quick to make and oh so healthy. Served with a crisp white and some crusty bread – a pleasure beyond words. Mmmmm….back to my bowl! Enjoy!
Sauteed Spinach with Cannellini Beans and Garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 (15.5 ounce) can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 large bunches of fresh spinach, ends trimmed, washed and drained
About 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (about 1/2 lemon)
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large saute pan
1. Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat until warm. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant about one minute. Stir often, being careful not to let it brown.
2. Stir the beans into the garlic and oil and cook until heated through – about 1 minute. Be careful not to cook too long or the beans will turn mushy.
3. Add the spinach and sea salt – about 1/2 teaspoon. Cook the spinach, turning with tongs, until wilted – about 2 or 3 minutes. After wilted, remove from the heat.
4. Add in the lemon zest, additional salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Put spinach into heated serving bowl; drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve. Enjoy!