We know it is high summer when our kitchens are swimming in zucchini. We have stuffed and sautéed them, grated and grilled them, frittered and fried them (see what I did there? 😉) but this shaved zucchini recipe is by far my hands-down favorite way to serve zucchini in high summer. Thin ribbons of raw zucchini are bathed in a light vibrant lemony dressing that allows the tender zucchini to shine. No fuss, no muss – pure summer delight on a plate. 😎
Using a mandoline or a Y-slicer makes slicing the zucchini a breeze. And don’t fret if some slices are thiner than others. The varying sized slices only add to the rustic appeal. You will be surprised at the pile of zucchini just one sliced zucchini makes – so use your judgement. I have written the recipe using 2 medium zucchini – but if you have one large zucchini, that may do the trick. Consider those zucchini slices a backdrop to summer heaven – I topped with different fresh herbs: parsley, basil, mint. But feel free to pick your fave; omit a few if so inclined. Just roughly tear them (very therapeutic) – no need to chop. I topped the zucchini with pistachios but use whatever nuts you have on hand – walnuts, pine nuts, almonds. They all work!
Lastly, the dressing. You may have some left over depending on how heavy handed you want to be with the dressing. Drizzle some on; give it a toss and add more if needed. Use any leftover dressing for salad tomorrow. One important note – you will want to dress the zucchini just prior to serving. The tender zucchini and herbs tend to wilt quickly – although I will say that this is just as tasty the next day.
Enjoy those summer zucchini!
Buon estate e buon appetito!! ⛱
xx tanti baci
Thin ribbons of raw zucchini serve as the perfect backdrop for fresh herbs, Parmigiano and pistachios in this easy summery salad, topped with the perfect lemony dressing.
For the dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the zucchini-herb salad:
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 cup of your favorite mixed herbs, such as parsley, mint, basil, lightly packed
- About ½ cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Microgreens for garnish
- Make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Set aside until ready to dress the salad.
- Make the salad: Working lengthwise, shave the zucchini into thin ribbons from top to bottom using a mandoline or V-slicer. Arrange the zucchini ribbons on a large platter. Tear the herbs and add on top of the zucchini.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave strips of Parmigiano over the salad. Top with the toasted pistachios and microgreens. Drizzle the dressing over the zucchini and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Note: It is best to dress the salad immediately before serving as the zucchini and the herbs will soften quickly.