Spring. This is simply my favorite season – to see the world around us bursting with life and the market fill with fresh local artichokes, fava beans, spring peas. I re-emerge just as much as the world around me. I get so excited on the weekend mornings that I am up way before the sun patiently waiting for it to rise so I can head out to the garden. I return from the market with arms filled with bags of fresh produce. I love seeing the pile of fresh artichokes just waiting to be cleaned, stuffed, drizzled, grilled. And although they can be a bit of work, their tangy bite is worth every effort. I have made this recipe for years – it is a staple in my kitchen. And each spring, I pour these over pasta, serve with simple roasted chicken or my favorite – with a simple loaf of crusty bread to mop up the sauce. There are a few variations of this recipe out there – my version has only a few ingredients – lemon, garlic, artichokes, olive oil, parmesan. Throw in some fresh herbs if you fancy; add more lemon. Grab a plateful, a glass of fresh white wine and head outside to enjoy in the warming sun. Happy Spring!!
Lemon-Garlic Roasted Artichokes
4 medium artichokes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (save lemons after squeezed to rub on prepared artichokes)
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional fresh squeezed lemon juice
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Prehead over to 350 degrees F.
2. Put olive oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a baking dish that can hold all the artichokes. Mix together.
3. Clean the artichokes. Snap off the tough outer leaves. Slice the top off the artichoke. Trim down to the artichoke heart. Cut the artichoke heart in half. Rub lemon on all sides of the artichoke to keep from discoloring. Remove the choke from the center of the heart, using a little spoon. Cut in half again or if large, cut twice.
4. Add to the marinade, turing to coat. Repeat for all artichokes.
5. Once all artichokes are prepared, stir to completely coat. Cover pan with foil and roast in oven for 40-50 minutes until the artichoke hearts are tender.
6. Remove from oven. Drizzle with more fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy….