Oh my!! It has been almost a month since I posted, my dear friends! Summer has been filled with travels near and far and I have so much to post…recipes, travels, great eats! And I promise to do so over the next few weeks! Summer is in full swing here in Pennsylvania and I am overrun with zucchini and cucumbers from my little garden. Time to get creative ….this very simple zucchini tomato torta is a quick and easy way to use up some of that zucchini. Simple layers of zucchini and tomato are interspersed with carmelized onions, fresh basil and freshly grated parmigiano and then baked. An easy simple light torta that is filled with the flavors of summer…..enjoy!
Summer Zucchini and Tomato Torta
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling on top
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large or 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
6-8 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
3/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese
Fresh basil (about 1/2 cup), chopped
Freshly ground pepper
1 medium round casserole dish (to layer and bake torta)
1 large skillet (to saute and carmelize the onion)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute until onions are soft and carmelized ….about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Lightly oil the bottom of the casserole dish. Spread one layer of sliced zucchini across the bottom. Top with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with 1/3 of the carmelized onions. Spinkle with chopped basil, salt and pepper. Top with 1/4 cup of grated Parmigiano (or more if you wish!).
4. Repeat with two more layers, ending with carmelized onions and grated Parmigiano on top.
5. Drizzle top with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Bake in oven for 50 minutes. Remove and let rest for about 10 minutes prior to serving.