After leafing through a few Italian cooking magazines that I picked up while in Italy last week, a simple crabmeat pasta lodged in my brain and was all I could think of while having to sit through a long day of conference calls. A quick trip to the market and I was ready to create my own version of this Sicilian-inspired pasta. This flavorful pasta is the perfect mid-week dinner – simple, fast and yummy. Add a green salad and a bottle of crisp white wine and dinner is ready! Enjoy!
Pasta with Crabmeat, Tomato and Basil
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound of fresh jumbo lump crab meat (I used claw meat)
1 pound spaghettini or other thin spaghetti
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft – about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring sauce to a boil.
3. Simmer sauce over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring frequently – about 15 minutes.
4. Pick over the crab meat, removing any shells.
5. Stir the crabmeat into the mixture and allow to cook for about 5 minutes to warm the crab meat. Do not over cook. Remove from heat.
6. Cook spaghettini in boiling, salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Drain pasta in colander. Place drained pasta back in the pasta pot. Stir in the reserved pasta water and 3/4 of the crab meat sauce. Toss quickly.
7. Transfer to serving bowl. Spoon remaining sauce on top and garnish with additional chopped basil.
8. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sounds delicious and light!
Trying this one tonight! Thank you!
Thanks Yummygal! Hope you enjoy it!
We’re trying this tonight ~ looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks for the comment, Diane! Please let us know if you like it…ciao! Michele
Great recipe. I used egg noodles and Thai basil.
Can’t wait…gonna try TONITE …..sounds WONDERFUL!!!!
Thanks for commenting! Please let us know how it came out!!