This is one of those recipes that as you are making it, you’re saying to yourself, “this makes no sense”. But some how it turns out great.
This recipe is inspired by the abundant winter time citrus crop and wonderful almonds found all over the island of Sicily. Enjoy as the Dolce course after a traditional Sicilian meal.
Pair with a glass of Moscato or small glass of Limoncello.
Serves about 8 people.
Torta di mandorle con glassa arancione (Almond Cake with Orange Glaze)
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 powdered sugar
1 cup chopped toasted almonds (see note)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus extra for coating the pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
A splash of vegetable oil
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/2 cup chopped almonds
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Note: For the toasted chopped almonds, if you unable to find these at the grocery store, purchase whole blanched almonds. Then rough chop them, transfer to a sheet pan and place in the preheated oven to toast. Keep a careful eye on them as they can burn quickly. They will toast in about 10 minutes. Stir the almonds several times.
10-inch springform pan
To make the Cake:
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks and both sugars with an electric hand mixer until well combined and a little frothy. Add the almonds, flour, baking powder and orange zest and using a spatula, combine well.
3. In a separate bowl or a stand mixer bowl, combine the egg whites, orange juice and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk batter.
5. Prepare the springform pan by applying vegetable oil all over the inside of the pan using a paper towel, sprinkle a little flour in the pan and shake and rotate until the inside of the pan is coated in flour.
6. Pour in the batter, flattening the top with a spatula and bake for 35 to 40 mins. The top of the cake will be very brown.
7. Let cool and then remove the cake from the pan and place on the plate or cake stand you will use for serving.
To make the Frosting:
1. Wisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour over the cake and let the frosting drizzle down the sides of the cake. The frosting will harden in about 1 hour.