Another treat from our Seven Fishes menu – prosciutto-wrapped scallops on a bed of roasted asparagus. Simple and delicious. These scallops are larger than one normally finds in the local fish market but they grow them big in California and boy, were they tasty! Make sure and let the prosciutto crisp up when you saute them…the crunch of the prosciutto marries well with the creaminess of the scallops and smoky flavor of the roasted asparagus. If your scallops are not large enough to wrap the prosciutto around the outside, simply wrap across the front of the scallop. Serve this one at your next dinner party and really impress the guests…bon appettito!
Prosciutto-wrapped Scallops on a Bed of Roasted Asparagus
For the asparagus:
1 bunch of asparagus
Extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
For the scallops:
12 scallops (larger in size if you can find)
6 very thin slices of prosciutto
Fine sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
Fresh lemon juice
Roast the asparagus:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss in the pan.
- Roast in the oven until tender, approximately 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks. Be sure to check often so as to not over-roast.
- Keep warm or at room temperature.
Prepare the scallops:
- Tear or slice the prosciutto into slices as wide as the scallops.
- Wrap each scallop with one piece of prosciutto and spear with a toothpick to hold. (As an alternative you might want to try a rosemary sprig to hold together.)
- Sprinkle each scallop with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil over moderately high heat in a skillet.
- When the oil is hot but not smoking, place the scallops, fish side down, in the skillet.
- Allow the scallops to develop a rich, brown color and the prosciutto to crisp a bit – a few minutes per side. Watch carefully so as not to overcook the scallops.
- Place a few spears of asparagus on each plate.
- Remove toothpick from scallops. Place one or two scallops on each plate.
- Drizzle with a bit of fresh lemon juice and serve.