Don’t let the purple color of this chicken dish scare you away! The taste of the chicken after having marinated in red wine is divine. 🙂 This recipe was one of our Dad’s favorite meals and one our Mom made often. She made it at home. She made it for company. She made it for picnics. But neither Joey nor I continued making the dish after we moved away – until relatively recently that is.
Joey first worked out the ingredients and proportions she used back in 2013 and I posted the recipe, along with a story about our Dad (and ladybugs) – you can read that post here: IN MY FATHER’S MEMORY: LAUGHTER, LADYBUGS AND CHICKEN MARINATED IN RED WINE
This past week, feeling a bit unsettled with all the recent events, I was craving pure comfort food – something simple, something to soothe my unsettled soul. This recipe ticked all the boxes and I hope it does for you as well.
The chicken is marinated in red wine for at least 2 hours but up to 24, makes it even better. Our mom always used cheap red wine – that wine found in those bottles wrapped with straw – so we would argue, that the cheaper the wine, the better. I happened to have a few half-empty bottles of various red wines from the the past few weeks so I used those first then added a bit more for good measure.
After it’s wine bath, the chicken is simply browned and simmered in the marinade until cooked through. (Be sure to let the sauce boil for awhile in the pan with the chicken given it was used as the marinade.) The aroma is heavenly – and for me, transports me right back to my childhood – memories of taking trays of this to the annual Italian-American Social Club picnic held at a local amusement park – a story for another day.
I like to serve alongside a simple green vegetable like green peas with pancetta and roasted potatoes. My comfort on a plate.
Hoping everyone is doing ok. My heart breaks for our nation and recent events – for me, my therapy to chase away the hurt in my heart is to head back into the kitchen – promise to post often here and on social media in the weeks ahead. We all need each other right now.
Sending much love,Print
A simple Italian chicken dish marinated in red wine – comfort food on a plate to soothe your soul. Serve with creamy roasted potatoes and a simple green veggie such as sauteed peas with pancetta.
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- About 3 pounds chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 bottle red wine
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1. Combine the garlic, rosemary, salt and freshly ground pepper in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken. Add a 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir to combine.
2. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss with the marinade. Pour the wine over the chicken to cover. Toss again to mix well.
3. Marinate the chicken, refrigerated, for a few hours or even better, overnight if possible.
4. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Pat the chicken dry using paper towels. Using a frying pan large enough to hold the chicken (cast iron works great), heat the remaining few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
5. Add the chicken thighs and cook until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Once browned, pour the wine marinade over the chicken. Bring marinade to a boil and allow to simmer until the thighs are cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F) and the wine reduces to a wonderful syrup consistency.
6. Allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped parsley and serve!