I was watching our friendly Giada this morning on Food Network as she was headed for a California beach picnic (sigh….). She was making a dish that is all too familiar to me ….. pasta with broccoli and parmesan in a garlic, oil, anchovy sauce. This was a staple for me for so many years. and never fails to please. I occassionally throw in grilled shrimp or some sundried tomatoes. I then realized that I had broccoli from the local farmer’s market in the fridge – well, how could I not rush into the kitchen to make me a batch! Don’t skip the anchovies – they melt into the sauce and really round out the flavors of this delightful dish. This is a super dish for parties and picnics (yes, including California beach picnics) as it is delicious warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!Pasta with Broccoli in a Garlic-Anchovy Sauce
Pasta with Broccoli in a Garlic-Anchovy Sauce
1 pound short pasta (use your favorite – rotini, penne, farfalle)
2 heads broccoli, florets only; discard the stems
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped
6 anchovy fillets, diced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (or to taste)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook.
2. After 5 minutes, add in the broccoli in the same pot as the pasta and give a stir. Cook for about 4 or 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the broccoli.
3. While the pasta and broccoli are cooking, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the butter and stir.
4. Once melted, add the garlic and anchovy fillets and stir until anchovy dissolves – about 5 minutes.
5. Add the red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
6. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain the broccoli and pasta when pasta is al dente.
7. Add the broccoli and pasta to the skillet and stir to combine.
8. Add the pasta cooking water in 1/4 cup increments to make a sauce.
9. Serve with grated parmesan sprinkled on top……enjoy!
I made this on Saturday. It’s wonderful. Two friends made this dish on Sunday. One friends two girls said it was the best thing their mother ever made.