SUMMER.IS.FINALLY.HERE!! I live for these warmer months when the rhythm of life moves outdoors. Mornings in the garden (fighting off the rather large garden snake that has decided my garden compost pile is his new home); afternoons along the canal (I absolutely need bodies of water in my life!); dinners under the pergola (many of you know my house is for sale right now – ready to downsize – you will have to help me design my new pergola when I find that new home!).
You have to drag me inside during the summer and one thing that gets me back inside is summer produce. Strawberries, basil, peaches, corn, tomatoes…magical Mother Nature at it once again. A stop at the local farm market this weekend produced a bounty of early summer love – peaches and greens and armloads of basil. (I see a pesto in my near future.) With company coming for dinner, I had the perfect group on which to experiment 🙂 Thank you, dear friends!
This salad is simple, simple, simple and a refreshing way to use your summer bounty. Grill up some peaches; tear up some prosciutto and fresh mozzarella balls; toss over some baby greens with fresh basil tossed in and top it all with a shallot red wine vinaigrette. Done. And make this your own – add in tomatoes or maybe hazelnuts or avocado or….whatever your heart desires.
And you can whip up a Strawberry Basil Spritz to sip on while crafting your salad 🙂
Happy summer!! Buon appetito!
Easy Italian recipe to use that wonderful summer produce!
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 large clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 1 lemon
- 2 peaches
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Baby greens
- Fresh basil
- 1/3 pound prosciutto, sliced thin
- 2 medium or 1 large ball fresh mozzarella
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine the garlic, shallot, olive oil and vinegar in a glass jar. Shake to combine. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste and adjust to your liking – add additional oil or vinegar if needed.
- Make the salad:
- Squeeze the lemon into a medium bowl filled with cold water. Cut the peaches into slices and add to the lemon water. (This will keep them from turning brown.) Allow to soak for about 10 minutes. Remove from the water and dry the slices.
- Fire up the grill and rub the peach slices with a bit of olive oil. Grill the peach slices until grill marks develop, just a few minutes each side. Remove from the grill.
- On a large platter, arrange the baby greens. Tear up a few leaves of fresh basil and add. Arrange the peach slices on top. Tear up the prosciutto and fresh mozzarella and add to the salad.
- Just before serving, drizzle with the vinaigrette. Buon appetito!
- Category: Italian Salad
- Cuisine: Italian