Summer is in full swing – bring it on, my friends. Life always feels so much more colorful during the summer months – sort of like the iconic scene in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy emerges from her sepia-hued Kansas landscape to the wonderful world of color in Munchkinland. After a very rainy spring, this summer in particular feels very much like Munchkinland. The sunshine feels brighter, the grass greener, the flowers awash in color. Everything simply came alive once the rains cleared. Or maybe I am simply drinking too much vino this summer …..
I am still on a peach kick over here! The lure from the aroma of the juicy peaches at the farm market is too much to bear so I am forced to carry home sackfuls of the beauties. But then it is time to get creative before these fuzzy treasures turn to mush. Game on!! 🙂
Summer heat calls for GRANITA!! I love this stuff in summer. It is so ridiculously simple (puree. pour. freeze. scrape) and you even get to stick your head in the freezer every hour to scrape your granita. Life is good.
Recipe, if you can call it that, is below. Cut up some peaches and strawberries. Toss in the blender. Add water and sugar. Juice from 1/2 lemon. Pinch of salt. Boom. Done. (You can toss some white wine in there if your heart desires.)
The photo shoot for this was rather fun – how to get THAT shot before the granita melts. Looked rather maniac scooting around the kitchen trying to get a photo but now I get to sit down in the beautiful summer heat and relax.
I am off to Montalcino next week so won’t be posting for a few weeks. Dear ole’ brother Joey will hold down the posting fort. Look for pics of my travels on Instagram – if you aren’t following us on IG, head over there right now and do so 😉
Go forth and summer! See you in a few weeks….
An easy refreshing summer recipe because everyone needs more granita in their life: Peach-Strawberry Granita
- • 5 peaches (about 1 ½ pounds)
- • ½ pound strawberries
- • ¼ cup sugar, plus more if you like it sweeter
- • ½ cup water
- • Juice of ½ lemon
- • Pinch of coarse salt
- Peel, pit and chop the peaches into large pieces. Clean and quarter the strawberries.
- In a food processor or blender, puree together the peaches, strawberries, sugar, water, lemon juice and a few pinches of coarse salt. Taste; add more sugar to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in freezer, uncovered. Freeze for 2 ½ hours; scraping with a fork every hour.
- To serve, scrape the frozen mixture one last time to create a fluffy and icy mixture. Transfer to bowls and serve!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Category: Italian Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian